I like a lot of different genres, but there are some where I don't read anywhere near as much as I would like. Steampunk is one of them and I've decided to do a Steampunk challenge to rectify that problem!
Get Steampunked starts one minute past midnight, 1st of January 2011 and end the 31st of December 2011 (if you find this challenge later you can still join in though as long as you finish before the end date) so make sure you decide on your books, what level of challenge, and let me know before then!
If you’d like to choose a reading challenge instead to what is set out below then don't forget to check out some of the other challenges I'm hosting, otherwise read on.
If you're not sure what Steampunk is think of stories that are Victoriana in style, but futuristic as well with steam powered gadgets and machines made out of the spare parts around you. Zephyrs, blimps, and steam trains are some of the vehicles you'd see, ladies and gents in Victoriana dress. Or the other extreme where it's the industrial side of Steampunk, the dirty almost cyber side of it.
Check out these websites for more of an idea - Steampunk Workshop, Steampunk Lab, Steampunk Emporium, Aether Emporium, and SteamPunk Magazine.
For ideas of what to read I have a list of 15 books to get you started or to give you ideas.
How To Participate
- Decide which challenge level you'll be doing (further below) - gaslight fantasy is allowed.
- Grab the code for the badge down below and post it on a side bar or in a signature (if you want to participate, but aren't blogging, aren't on a social network or a forum - Submission For Non Bloggers).
- Create your own post to let all your readers know you’re taking part in the challenge and at what level (if you're really proficient you can list your books!). Make sure to link back to this page with either one of the buttons or a text link..
- Use the link form below to enter into the challenge by sharing your challenge post url and your name (either your name, blog name, or both).Please don't use the comment form to participate, only to comment on the challenge or something else..
- Submit your reviews (if you choose to review them, but that is optional) on the review page.
- When you’ve completed you’re challenge let us know on the completion post. If you're using a tag or category I recommend sharing the link back to that so everyone can find them
- Geared – Choose 5 books to read
- Cogged – Choose 15 books to read
- Goggle Mad – Choose 30 books to read
- Victorian Lord/Lady – Choose 50 books to read
- Steampunked! – Choose 75 books to read
- Zephyr Pilot – Choose 76-125 books to read
- Inventor – Choose 126-200 books to read