Are you all set for 2011? Decided it’s time to start thinking about a challenge or what to read for the year? Well following is Bookish Ardour’s Century Challenge which will start one minute past midnight, 1st of January 2011 and end the 31st of December 2011 (if you find this challenge later you can still join in though as long as you finish before the end date).
If you’d like to choose a different challenge to what is set out below then don't forget to check out some of the other challenges I'm hosting, otherwise read on.
How The Challenge Works
The books you’ll select will be decided by publication year and have to be read in order from the time period you choose (here’s a guide on Wikipedia if you need help finding out which books to read).
For example; if I decide to read 10 books in the year, so therefore choosing one decade, I’d choose a year to start from and it would be as follows.
- 1900 – Love and Mr Lewisham by H.G. Wells
- 1901 – The Sea Serpent by Jules Verne
- 1902 - The Hound of The Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
- 1903 – The Jewel of The Seven Stars by Bram Stoker
- 1904 – Nostromo by Joseph Conrad
- 1905 – The 120 Days of Sodom – Marquis De Sade
- 1906 – I Am A Cat by Natsume Soseki
- 1907 – Through The Eye of The Needle by William Dean Howells
- 1908 – The Man Who Was Thursday by Gilbert Keith Chesterton
- 1909 – Ann Veronica by H.G. Wells
- 1910 – The History of Mr Polly by H.G. Wells
- Decade Challenge – Choose a time period of one decade with 10 books to read
- Quarter of a Century – Choose a time period of 25 years with 25 books to read
- Half a Century – Choose a time period of 50 years with 50 books to read
- Three Quarters – Choose a time period of 75 years with 75 books to read
- A Century – Choose a time a time period of 100 years with 100 books to read
- One and a Half – Choose a time period of 150 years with 150 books to read
- Two Centuries – Choose a time period of 200 years with 200 books to read
- Decide which challenge you’ll be doing and which time period.
- Grab the code for the badge down below and post it on a side bar or in a signature (if you want to participate, but aren't blogging, on a social network, or forum - Submission For Non Bloggers).
- Create your own post to let all your readers know you’re taking part in the challenge and at what level (if you're really proficient you can list your books!). Make sure to link back to this page with either one of the buttons or a text link..
- Use the link form below to enter into the challenge by sharing your challenge post url and your name (either your name, blog name, or both).Please don't use the comment form to participate, only to comment on the challenge or something else..
- Submit your reviews (if you choose to review them, but that is optional) on the review page.
- When you’ve completed you’re challenge let us know on the completion post. If you're using a tag or category I recommend sharing the link back to that so everyone can find them